August 7, 2009

Little miracles

Yesterday while outside playing with Alex I was checking out the Passion Vine growing up our telephone pole. That in itself is a miracle since Passion Vines typically like tropic conditions. I can only assume the bluebirds living above the vine in their bluebird house dropped seeds. Anyway, I noticed a bud and thought it might be on the verge of blooming. Sure enough, when I went back out an hour later it had fully blossomed.

Passion Flower

Passion Flower

Who knew it could open up so quickly? I am going to keep a close eye on the other buds and try to catch a sequence of pictures of the blooming in action.

While examining this beautiful and unique flower I noticed several of these caterpillars munching on the leaves. After a bit of research (i.e. googling....how did we ever find out about anything before google?) I discovered that they were the caterpillars of the Gulf Fritillary butterfly.

Gulf Fritillary caterpillar

Gulf Fritillary caterpillar

As I was sitting there snapping away a Gulf Fritillary butterfly came by. She fluttered all around me visiting the Passion Vine. I quickly realized what was going on. She was laying eggs! What an amazing opportunity to witness!! I sat there for a good 20 minutes watching.

Gulf Fritillary laying an egg

Gulf Fritillary laying an egg

Caught her mid-flutter. If you look right where her leg is pointing you can see where she had just placed an egg.
Mid-flutter

Taking a short rest.
taking a rest

An egg, so tiny!
Gulf Fritillary larvae egg

I am so grateful to have witnessed something so unique and beautiful!

3 thanks for stopping by, i love comments!:

janel August 8, 2009 at 11:50 PM  

Oh my heavens...such wonderful photos and so lucky to be there to see all of this emerging. I know that new life and experiencing the cycle of life is especially poignant for you right now. What a wonderful, beautiful post. Enjoy your weekend.

Sarah August 9, 2009 at 1:50 PM  

Wow! So incredibly beautiful! I just adore your pictures!

Anonymous August 10, 2009 at 7:12 PM  

It is realy interesting to see the butterfly egg so close. It alsmost looks like a tiny ear of corn. Amazing isn't it how a butterfly could evolve from something so tiny. LD

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Blog List

Followers

Search This Blog

living in the moontime

About This Blog

IMG_4695w
I'm a mom with a camera that loves exploring the world around me through my macro lens...and of course showing off my handsome little men.
There was an error in this gadget

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Sorpotel Recipe

Back to TOP