July 29, 2008

Humming along

In the interest of taking pictures of something other than bugs, I've been trying to capture a hummingbird. We have a feeder hanging on our porch and it seems to be quite the popular hangout lately. That might have something to do with the extra cup of sugar Tim adds to their nectar, but who's complaining....I know the hummers aren't. The problem is they are still fairly shy. I would be too if there was a noisy 4 year old who loves to squeal at the top of his lungs whenever he sees one. So I took advantage of some quiet time while Ben was at grandma and grandpa's house for a few days to try and capture one. Today we had a male Ruby Throated Hummingbird hanging around guarding the feeder. He perched on our wind chimes and swooped in on anyone attempting to invaid his self-proclaimed territory.

At one point there was at least five hummers I counted fighting for the right for a sip of the sweet stuff.

Here's a couple pictures of the bully while he is in midflight....



Unfortunately these didn't turn out the best. Hummers are so fast, it's hard to get your focus set before they've moved out of your viewfinder. I also didn't get much time to play since the battery died on my camera. I'll just have to keep trying for that perfect shot. I don't mind, I love playing with my camera. It's something that's all mine...and not covered in spit-up and cookie crumbs :)

4 thanks for stopping by, i love comments!:

Unknown July 29, 2008 at 11:13 PM  

I love these shots! And I love that you got the dominant male perched on his lookout spot. Aren't they cool little birds!

Vicki Chrisman July 29, 2008 at 11:37 PM  

What? I think those shots are amazing.. esp the second one.
Hey.. I wanted to say thanks for the comment on my blog about the music.. it's so true... "bigger things to worry about".. and "it's for me". lol I guess you have to look at this this way, it's your blog and if people dislike something that much, they dont have to come, Right? lol

Melissa July 30, 2008 at 4:15 PM  

Very cool! I love humming birds. I've yet to see one around here. I guess I'd need a humming bird feeder. ;)

mamalove August 1, 2008 at 1:21 PM  

I can't get over how fab your photos are! You've got such great talent. (Those beach shots were in Gulf Shores, AL., BTW)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Blog List

Followers

Search This Blog

living in the moontime

About This Blog

IMG_4695w
I'm a mom with a camera that loves exploring the world around me through my macro lens...and of course showing off my handsome little men.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Sorpotel Recipe

Back to TOP