August 3, 2008

Along came a spider

The title ought to clue you in as to what's about to come, so if you are squeamish look away now....

We usually get these Orb Weaver Spiders during the fall all around the porch and house. Under normal circumstances I'm not a fan of spiders by any stretch of the imagination, but for some reason these don't bother me. I guess because they remind me of Charlotte's Web and I am extremely sentimental.

I noticed this particular lady (or gentleman, who knows-I didn't get that close) last week hiding out in our grape tomato plant that we keep potted on the front porch. It's kind of early in the season for her appearance, but explains why our grape tomato plant hasn't been infested with bugs. This morning when I went out to get the mail she had built her web across the front walkway and had caught herself a yellow jacket.







That's a help me look if ever I saw one....too bad it was too late.


We've been overrun by the yellow jackets this year. In fact, just last week Tim was attacked when he discovered their nest while cutting grass....I had quite the giggle watching him (from the safety of the living room window) dance around in the street trying to keep from getting stung. So as much as spiders (and many other bugs) can creep me out, they do serve a purpose which is a lesson we've been trying to teach Ben....don't squish 'em.

I just have to add I have a serious case of the heebie jeebies now after googling spiders while researching what type this one was. And if you have a sense of humor, check this video on youtube I ran across in my googling adventures Spiders on drugs.

3 thanks for stopping by, i love comments!:

Unknown August 3, 2008 at 4:02 PM  

Those are awesome pics! Especially that last one of the prey! I don't get the heebie jeebies from spiders as much as I used to....but ants...I hate ants!

~Amie~ August 4, 2008 at 3:42 PM  

fabulous pics!! And you have been tagged!

Happay Mommay aka Happay Scrappay August 11, 2008 at 11:13 PM  

fascinating photos!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Blog List

Followers

Search This Blog

living in the moontime

About This Blog

IMG_4695w
I'm a mom with a camera that loves exploring the world around me through my macro lens...and of course showing off my handsome little men.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Sorpotel Recipe

Back to TOP