August 15, 2008

Striking gold....and blue, and yellow, and black...

In my previous post today I mentioned chasing butterflies. Well this evening the boys and I walked next door to offer our neighbor some grape tomatoes from our garden. I happened to notice an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail flitter by. I went around the corner to investigate and discovered my neighbor has a butterfly bush and it was dinner time! I only got a few minutes to play before Alex fell over and busted his lip in the driveway, but I will warn you now...expect to see a lot of butterfly pictures from me in the near future :)

The coveted Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


My new favorite, a Pipe Vine Swallowtail. This butterfly is an amazing beauty! He was difficult to capture in good focus though. After reading up I now understand why..."The adults fly with rapid wingbeats and continue to flutter their wings even when visiting flowers"-Peterson First Guide Butterflies and Moths.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Really poor focus, but I just love the wing position in this shot.
Photobucket


Ironically the smaller butterflies were easier to capture. They are not nearly as active.

A Fiery Skipper
Photobucket
Photobucket


And finally a Silver Spotted Skipper
Photobucket


I have now added 3 new types of butterflies to my identification list bringing my total up to 11. I can't wait to go back when I have more time to play.

5 thanks for stopping by, i love comments!:

Unknown August 16, 2008 at 8:16 AM  

Beautiful!! What kind of bush is that? Do you know? I want one :) I just love skippers....I think they're cute!

Unknown August 16, 2008 at 8:17 AM  

Oh, and I don't think I've ever seen a pipe vine swallowtail. I wonder if they live up north or if they are southern dwellers? Off to research...

Melissa August 19, 2008 at 9:08 AM  

Beautiful shots.

Vicki Chrisman August 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM  

Oh.. to think I was so happy with my butterfly shots..UNTIL I see yours! HO.. BEAUTIFUL!

TanishaRenee August 26, 2008 at 10:20 PM  

gorgeous photos!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Blog List

Followers

Search This Blog

living in the moontime

About This Blog

IMG_4695w
I'm a mom with a camera that loves exploring the world around me through my macro lens...and of course showing off my handsome little men.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Sorpotel Recipe

Back to TOP