June 14, 2009

Itsy Bitsy Spider

Jumping spiders are a curious thing. They are freaky in the fact that they, well, jump, but since they are so small it's not so scary to get near one. And really, once you see their faces up close they are strangely kind of cute....for a spider that is. This little guy was almost the size of an eraser tip on a pencil. It's quite difficult and remarkable to nail the focus on something so small since you really can't see it until after you download the image and look at it in full view. His markings remind me of a sock monkey.

Itsy Bitsy Spider

What's not so cute is this hideous crab spider that has taken up residence in one of my butterfly bushes. He can't wait to get his nasty fangs on one of my beautiful butterflies.
Lying in wait

Speaking of butterflies, I watched the most fascinating documentary on PBS today about Monarch butterflies. Did you know that they travel almost 2,000 miles from Canada to Mexico? Most butterfly species only live for a few days, the Monarch can live from 6-9 months and actually migrates with the weather. It was so beautiful to watch, yet so sad since their refuge in Mexico is quickly being destroyed by illegal logging. Can you imagine a life without butterflies?

If you get a chance, check this out next time it hits your local television schedule.

0 thanks for stopping by, i love comments!:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Blog List

Followers

Search This Blog

living in the moontime

About This Blog

IMG_4695w
I'm a mom with a camera that loves exploring the world around me through my macro lens...and of course showing off my handsome little men.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Sorpotel Recipe

Back to TOP