July 26, 2008

Tree hugging

"ATLANTA (MyFOX Atlanta) -- Some self-proclaimed tree huggers spoke out Wednesday to try and keep a historic old tree from being cut down by developers. The residents called on the city of Avondale Estates to make the development work around the tree.

A plaque on the tree's trunk said the 83-year-old water oak tree was planted in 1925 by Avondale Estates founder, George Willis. Unfortunately for the historical marker, the tree stands right in the path of a planned Publix supermarket and retail development in the heart of the city.

Commissioners said they prided themselves on Avondale Estate's identity as a tree city, but said the stakes were too high. Commissioners also said sacrificing the tree could help them prod the developer to plant many more trees as they mandated a landscape plan for the project.

"As much as I love trees, I'm not going to recommend we put that tree over this development," said Commissioner David Milliron."


You can read the full story here.

How can you declare yourselves a tree city if you cut down the very tree that the city's founder planted? I just don't get it. For those not familiar with the demographics of this area, it's a large (over)populated, (over)developed area. If you google you will find at least 10 other Publix stores within 15 miles. We're not talking a rural community that could benefit from a little growth. It's such a shame that the commissioners are so willing to sacrifice their historical roots (hehe, get it?) all for the sake of convenience and the almighty dollar.

I really need to just stop watching the news, all it does is anger me.

4 thanks for stopping by, i love comments!:

Unknown July 27, 2008 at 9:10 AM  

Ok, I'm coming down there to chain myself to that tree! Seriously...if I had the money I would totally be there. Ugh.

Anonymous July 27, 2008 at 12:14 PM  

News reports say it will cost $1.2 million to relocate the tree. If you're serious about saving the tree, get your checkbooks out and start sending money as this little city's annual budget is only about $3 million. You do the math!

Tabitha W. July 27, 2008 at 3:58 PM  

Well, there are 2 sides to every story. And admittedly I've not done extensive research on the issue. I've just read the article that was linked in the original post. However, I still fail to see the need for yet another shopping center, especially in a highly developed urban location such as this where there a multitude of resources within a reasonable driving distance. Why should the tree even need to be relocated? Can there not be some type of compromise between preservation and development?

I appreciate the comments.....I would appreciate them more if they weren't anonymous.

Melissa July 28, 2008 at 9:56 PM  

Oh man. You know...if they TRIED..I'm sure they could come up with some solution that doesn't involve chopping the tree down.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Blog List

Followers

Search This Blog

living in the moontime

About This Blog

IMG_4695w
I'm a mom with a camera that loves exploring the world around me through my macro lens...and of course showing off my handsome little men.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Sorpotel Recipe

Back to TOP