October 16, 2008

People are strange when you're a stranger

So this week's iSpy challenge issued by Shelly was to photograph a stranger.

In her words "You can 'shoot and run' and make them real candids or you can make yourself very obvious when shooting, or you can ask your subject if you can take their photo and have it be posed. Whatever works for you. Try to find interesting people."

Oh what a challenge this was for me! I am so shy, I was really intimidated by this challenge. My first thought was to go into Atlanta since it wouldn't be so obvious what I was up to and there are loads of interesting people there to find. Well, with finances and what it would cost in gas it just wasn't a smart idea. So that left me wandering my small town. I took Ben along with me to Main Street, who can think it's weird to be taking pictures when you have a cute little boy in tow.

Here was my 1st subject.
iSpy-Strangers.3

As we wandered up and down Main Street I began to relax a little. This old guy came out of his office for a break. I was snapping away when he happened to turn in my direction.
iSpy-Strangers.2
As you can tell by his expression, I don't think he was pleased with having his picture taken. He immediately turned and went inside. If he only knew how scared I was to do that. Ben and I continued down the street and fell into a fit of giggles.

After that experience I felt I was up for anything and remembered seeing a young guy on the way to Main Street that fit the interesting catergory. He was holding a guitar shaped sign advertising for a new restraurant that has opened up, so we went to see if he was still there. The kid was really hamming it up for the passerbys. This time I stopped and asked his permission to take his picture. This is a big deal for me, as I stated above I am extremely shy. He not only agreed but rocked it out for me.
iSpy-Strangers.1

I have to admit, as timid as I was, I ended up actually enjoying this challenge. Maybe one day soon I will get a chance to head into the city to practice some true street photography.

3 thanks for stopping by, i love comments!:

Anonymous October 17, 2008 at 7:31 AM  

You have some absolutely faboulus photos. Don't ever stop. I enjoy them tremendously. Wish you had known my Dad. LRD.

Vicki Chrisman October 18, 2008 at 5:23 PM  

These are great Tabitha!!

TanishaRenee October 19, 2008 at 8:37 PM  

these are great- I love the lines created by the brick wall in the first one and the expression on the face of the subject in the 2nd. I am much like you, very shy and intimidated when it comes to being a photographer in public. I've seen may people that I would like to photograph, but don't want to go up and ask.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Blog List

Followers

Search This Blog

living in the moontime

About This Blog

IMG_4695w
I'm a mom with a camera that loves exploring the world around me through my macro lens...and of course showing off my handsome little men.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Sorpotel Recipe

Back to TOP