December 12, 2008

Batteries not included

I went Christmas shopping for the boys yesterday.

It was so disheartening to see the limited options of toys that didn't sing, flash, buzz, beep, nor steal the child's imagination away. Don't get me wrong, electronic toys are fun and I did pick up a few, but it seems everything is electronic these days. Even the infant toys. Like a 1 year old really needs a Baby Einstein laptop computer. I wanted to get Alex a pull along xylophone, but now you can only find them with attached electronic keyboards or in the shape of some crazy plastic animal. So disappointing.

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than watching Ben play with his matchbox cars or army men and act out scenarios, or build an airplane out of his tinker toys and fly it around the house with pride at his accomplishment. Today's toys seem to be robbing our children the opportunity to expand their own creative worlds.

Come to think of it, adult toys are just as bad. When was the last time you saw a cell phone that was just a phone?

*Edited to add....I found the xylophone I wanted for Alex. I had to order it from the UK. Hmmm, there's a message here somewhere I'm sure. I hope he likes it!

6 thanks for stopping by, i love comments!:

SinlessTouch December 12, 2008 at 6:39 PM  

Some of adult toys that i know..can be a duck!!! hahhaahhah.. A DUCK! do you believe?

Melissa December 12, 2008 at 10:41 PM  

I totally agree! While some electronic toys are fun...it seems that every single one plays music or lights up or something.
It hate that the Little People vehicles all play the same darn tune with difference words. How's a kids suppose to "vroom vroom" while distracted with that?

Sorry about that little rant lol.

We love Plan Toys. We got K a wooden xylophone by them last year.
I love the one you ordered...very cute!

Toy's R Us carries lots of Melissa and Doug items.

. December 12, 2008 at 11:33 PM  

wonderful blog topic! Something that I didn't much think about till now. Tate love to play pretend, but it is true it kinda takes from their imagination when the toy does it all for them. Glad you found this one for Lil Alex...he'll like it I'm sure. Are you finished with your shopping?

Vicki Chrisman December 14, 2008 at 2:51 PM  

oh brother...i totally agree!! it's kind of like them liking to play with the box,..instead of the toy!lol
i guess it's about the same for adults... have you seen the new paper trimmer with a mp3 in it???
RIDICULOUS!

Anonymous December 16, 2008 at 6:08 PM  

I totally agree with you Tabitha! We try to only get toys that she has to use her imagination with. She has a few toys that play music but for the most part we really try to encourage pretend play where the imagination has to be used :) That's a beautiful xylophone! I'm sure he'll love it!

And I can't believe someone left a comment about vibrators on a post about childrens toys! LOL

TanishaRenee December 22, 2008 at 11:46 AM  

I know what you mean! I'm so glad that Donovan is into super heros-- I just sit and watch his imagination fly as he acts out good guy/bad guy scenarios!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Blog List

Followers

Search This Blog

living in the moontime

About This Blog

IMG_4695w
I'm a mom with a camera that loves exploring the world around me through my macro lens...and of course showing off my handsome little men.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Sorpotel Recipe

Back to TOP