May 4, 2010

growing things

This past weekend we (by we, I mean Tim. I have a black thumb) finally got our garden planted. This year we are doing regular tomatoes, grape tomatoes, squash, peppers, cucumbers, and green beans.

020ew


In our herb garden we have rosemary, basil, thyme, oregano, mint, and sage.

073ew


Even though it will be another year or so before we can use the soil, we have started composting.

088ew


It's amazing how doing this has reduced our waste that goes into a landfill. Between composting and recycling we have managed to cease our curbside trash service. We now take a bag or two of trash ourselves to the dump and save over 50% in our monthly trash budget.

The wild blackberry bushes are in bloom. I can't wait to harvest them and prepare a blackberry cobbler!

085ew


I did try my hand at some potted flowers even my black thumb status. I saw these Snapdragons at Home Depot and couldn't resist. They are so pretty and unique. For only $2 a plant, I took a chance.... and if they don't survive I did get my money's worth laughing at the boys after convincing them that the flower likes to snap little boys' fingers off if they get too close.

070ew


My very favorite thing growing right now is the surprise early Mother's Day gift I came home to find planted in the front yard, a Weeping Willow tree. I have wanted one for so long!

094ew


They are supposed to be fast growing and I can't wait! I can totally envision some great portraits of the boys sitting under the long, whimsical branches. Thanks honey!

2 thanks for stopping by, i love comments!:

Unknown May 4, 2010 at 2:36 PM  

LOVE the snaps AND that you have suckered the boys into not touching them for fear of losing fingers.

I planted a willow outside my office three years ago. It grew like a weed and since last year, I have been pruning back branches that are larger than the original tree!

Very cool about your composting/recycling and eliminating that trash charge. :)

Unknown May 10, 2010 at 9:46 PM  

How green are you?! Way to go on the composting! That makes me smile :)

LOVE the weeping willow tree! I had one up in NY :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Blog List

Followers

Search This Blog

living in the moontime

About This Blog

IMG_4695w
I'm a mom with a camera that loves exploring the world around me through my macro lens...and of course showing off my handsome little men.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Sorpotel Recipe

Back to TOP