August 3, 2010

see this face?

001eweb


This is the face of a 1st grader. I don't think the magnitude of that hit me until last night while tucking him in bed and reminding him how he had to get up early for his first day of school as a 1st grader. Yes, he entered big boy school last year. But that was last year and he was in Kindergarten which is really an extension of the fun play of preschool with a bit more structure. Now he is in a numbered grade. Now he has an individual desk to sit at. Gone are the activity stations and toys scattered throughout the classroom. It's time for serious learning. Sigh. The time just goes by too quickly.

He was very excited this morning! He jumped straight up out of bed and diligently ate his breakfast and dressed. I know this will change and become more of a struggle as we get into the school year. I had to take the honorary picture of him on the front porch ready to go. He was showing off just a bit and trying to act all cool ;)

002eweb


The spunkiness wore off as soon as we entered the school and the little boy that still resides in him clung hard and fast to my hand as we walked in. He started getting nervous and shy, he is his mother's child.

010eweb


Once inside his classroom he froze. It would not have taken much for him to burst into tears and it took every ounce of strength in me to remain strong for him and not cry myself. I reassured him that the day would be great and he was going to have lots of fun just like last year. Once he had unloaded his backpack and taken his seat he was distracted with crayons and paper.

017web


I know he will be just fine. I am excited for him, no matter how bittersweet it is for me. I slipped on my sunglasses as I hit the exit door to let a few tears roll down my cheeks.

Thank goodness Alex's birthday is in November so I get to steal an extra year from him before he starts school. I shudder to think what a mess I will be on that day!

4 thanks for stopping by, i love comments!:

Unknown August 3, 2010 at 10:57 AM  

Awww, B is looking mighty grown up in those pics. I didn't cry yesterday when my Bean got on the bus for the first time to go to Kindergarten. But I have tears now for you & your kids :)

Anonymous August 3, 2010 at 12:04 PM  

It is hard to believe that Grandma's first Grandson is old enough to be in first grade. I joined his Mom in shedding a tear or two. But I know Ben has a lot of adventures ahead, some good some bad, but that is part of growing up. Maybe he will find a few more bugs for show and tell. HA HA

Lori P August 6, 2010 at 7:31 PM  

Aww, I remember when my son had a rough time in first grade. He's 20 now and I remember it like it was yesterday. They do ease into it, as you know. But a mother never forgets every tough time (or happy time!)

Unknown August 7, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

He looks so grown up!!! Lily starts Kindergarten at the end of the month...I just can't believe it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Blog List

Followers

Search This Blog

living in the moontime

About This Blog

IMG_4695w
I'm a mom with a camera that loves exploring the world around me through my macro lens...and of course showing off my handsome little men.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Sorpotel Recipe

Back to TOP